Sunday, July 4, 2010

carriers

I love my carriers for nursing in, too.
We used our Sleepywrap tons during the first year of our baby's life. I recently tried a Moby Wrap, and really loved it too. The Moby is wider and not as stretchy, which means it'd be easier to carry a bigger kid in it. The Sleepywrap is a little stretchier, although not as stretchy as the Ultimate Baby Wrap. The stretch of the sleepywrap is great for people who haven't used a wrap before since it gives more leeway for putting the wrap on with enough room to fit the baby in comfortably. The Sleepywrap is also a little longer than the Moby, so it might be more comfortable for a bigger or taller person to tie. The Sleepywrap is $43.94 at http://www.sleepywrap.com/ (I think I got it for $30 two years ago). (11/5/10 update: sleepywrap 10% off code Unique). The Moby wrap is about $40 at http://www.mobywrap.com/. Or you could try other sites or try them used. I also have several friends who have made their own wraps with great success and not much money at all. They just bought the fabric they wanted and cut it down to the width they wanted, without any sewing. When my baby was very little, I was able to pull the wrap up behind her head while she was nursing, and I could stay covered. When she was bigger, I just tied her on a little lower, and she was able to nurse while I moved around.
I love my ring sling. When not on sale, it's $125 at http://babysosmart.com/collections/1/. If you get a ring sling, the wider the better. I first bought one that was too narrow (less then 2 feet) to use all the ways I wanted to. I still use mine to carry my 35-pound daughter on my hip while currently pregnant. And you can use the tail to throw back over as a nursing cover if you want to discretely nurse while carrying in the sling.
I have a toddler mei tai, but I'd love to have a regular infant one as well. They're $80 at http://babysosmart.com/collections/3/. There are many other places you can buy a mei tai, too. I definitely prefer this to the soft structured carriers, although I know other people who love their Ergo carriers. My mei tai has a nursing cover attached to it, so I can just lower her down a little, throw the cover over the side she's on, and she can happily nurse while we walk. I think the last time we did this was when she was around 33 pounds and 20 months, when I was just newly pregnant. I was still able to carry her on my back in the mei tai while pregnant (until carrying the extra 35 baby pounds and the 36-pound girl was just too heavy for me), although I'm thankful to have a husband who is also very happy to carry her in his blue camo mei tai.

No comments:

Post a Comment