Friday, May 15, 2009

cloth diapers

Several people have recently asked for my cloth diaper reviews since I've tried several different kinds and love cloth diapers. We do elimination communication, so my opinion is probably a little different than someone who wants a diaper that feels dry and holds a lot, but here are all the details of what we've tried.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/ gives 5% off when you sign up for their newsletter and free shipping when you order over $75, and they've had great customer service when I've used them.
You can also buy used diapers at http://diaperswappers.com/.

Here's what we've used:
Bumgenius 3.0 AIO (all in one) pockets for overnight and when we go out. $16.95 each. They soak up a lot and keep the layer next to her dry: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=1279
I recently (after 9 months of use) returned all 24 of these diapers since the laundry tabs were worn and the velcro was curling to the point of cutting into Little Girl's legs and not staying closed unless she had pants on over them. I had to pay for the shipping to return them, but they quickly shipped me 24 brand new diapers. I expect these to have the same problem after a lot of use, but we don't use them too much at this point. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
10/10/10 update: they now have kits that allow you to replace the tabs on cottonbabies.

Indian or Chinese prefolds when we’re at home. They’re nice and absorbent, so things don’t go all over, but I can tell right away when she needs to be changed. Usually I don’t use a cover on her when we’re home, but this also means sometimes I get wet. $2 each. At about a month old and 12 pounds, she was outgrowing the infant size. The regular size are way too long and not wide enough in my opinion. I was folding them over, but now at 9 months and 23 pounds, we just use them regularly with a snappi, but they're just barely wide enough. Not sure why they are made in the dimensions they are. These are tons more absorbent than the gerber ones you can use as burp cloths or whatever. http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=277

Fitted diapers. These are expensive ($15.75 each), so I only have a few, but I love them. Again you’d need to use a cover if you don’t want to maybe get wet, but they’re more absorbent than the prefolds. http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=98&products_id=895. We also have a couple Thirsties and another brand fitted diapers. They work fine, too, but the bG bamboo are my favorites.

These are the diaper covers we have and I like ($12.95 each). I only have a couple of these since I don’t use them too often. http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=92.

Overnight inserts: We've tried many overnight combinations and finally came up with stuffing our Bumgenius AIOs with a regular insert, a Hemp Babies doubler, and a Kissaluvs Super-Soaker.

Wet bag to put dirties in when we’re out ($16) http://www.theecstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=175&products_id=1978.

Laundry bag: http://www.amazon.com/SwaddleBees-Diaper-Liner-Laundry-PERWINKLE/dp/B000H8AUDW/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3INPF29MULP41&colid=1OQAJ0G3EXLWA
We recently got a second bag so that one could be in the wash and we could keep one in the pail. I like our second bag better. It's http://www.nosugaraddedshop.com/store.cgi?p=Wahmies_Diaper_Pail_Liner&s=800.
I wash the Bg liners separately from everything else so they don't get any oils on them and start leaking (like they did once, and I had to scrub them with Dawn and a toothbrush), so I'd love to have another smaller bag for those, but I haven't bought one.
When I wash the diapers, I dump everything including the bag into the washer, run a rinse cycle, add soap and run a wash cycle, take out the bag and hang it to dry, and do one more rinse cycle. Otherwise some soap seems to get caught in the waterproof bag.

Detergent: http://www.amazon.com/Country-Save-Laundry-Detergent-160-Load/dp/B001561MWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1242424203&sr=8-1

Wipe solution: http://www.amazon.com/Buns-Up-Wipe-Solution-Cubes/dp/B00169KAFO/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1R5VQQTUUHTMG&colid=1OQAJ0G3EXLWA

For wipes we got a couple packages of cheap baby washcloths. They work great. We just keep a tub of solution, dip the wipe in, squeeze it out, and use it. Now that Little Girl is getting into stuff, we'll need to figure out a way to keep the solution so she doesn't grab it, though.

We use snappis to fasten the prefolds: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=100. prefold belts have also been recommended to me. I know many people just lay them inside the covers without fastening anything on the cloth. Be careful using a snappi without a cover, though, because they're sharp.

I like using leggings rather than pants for easy diaper changes (and especially because I don’t usually have her water-proofed at home. http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=802

And we got this diaper sprayer for around $30 on cottonbabies, although I don’t see it right now. It’s easy to hook up. http://www.amazon.com/bumGenius-890077002003-Diaper-Sprayer/dp/B000ZKHVMU. Here’s the diaper sprayer. I don’t know why I couldn’t find it yesterday. It’s more expensive than I thought, though: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=1228. I use it more for washing out her potty than her diapers, though.

We're just using a basket for a diaper pail. I'd love to have an actual pail to use, but we haven't bought one. Let me know if you have any recommendations for keeping cloth diapers. I want something that may stay closed when Little Girl decides to try to tip it over.

We were given a Happy Heiny's AIO diaper. I don't care for it as much because it doesn't feel quite as dry next to her skin, has thicker velcro that gets in the way of her belly, and doesn't have a fold-over pouch for the insert (so the insert could stick out the back if you didn't get it all the way in). http://www.comfybummy.com/cgi-bin/item/HHP/search/Happy-Heiny%27s-Pocket-Diaper

By the way, I love cloth diapers. We've used disposable on a couple of vacations, and I was surprised to find that I did not like them at all. I wonder why so many people use them. We had to guess how many diapers she'd go through and which size, and need them when a store was open. They leak poop--a problem I've never had with cloth but experienced I think every time she pooped in the disposables. They stink when she peed. And they irritated her skin. They did allow her pants to fit a little better with their slimmer fit, though. I also like being able to pay once for diapers we'll use for all of our kids. I like saving money!

No comments:

Post a Comment